How to properly select a location to setup the countSTICK including physical environment, road type, and mounting location.
The countSTICK has been optimized to collect vehicle volumes and speeds along two-lane roadways which experience lower pedestrian and bicycle volumes. To ensure the most accurate count data possible, the following items should be considered when setting up and collecting vehicle data with the countSTICK.
- The countSTICK has been optimized for two-lane roadways in suburban/rural settings. The device should not be used on four-lane roadways though this feature that may be added in the future with ongoing software improvements.
- Install the countSTICK along roadway segments, similar to where you would set a tube counter. Avoid setting the countSTICK near or at intersections as the cross-street traffic will impact the count.
- The countSTICK will count the traffic it sees in its camera view. Avoid setting up the countSTICK at locations with additional roadways, parking lots, or visible traffic flow in the background of the road you are wishing to count. The countSTICK will pick up these additional vehicles/movements impacting the results of your count.
- Install the countSTICK at a location where pedestrians and bicycles will not walk directly in front of the device. The countSTICK has a built-in algorithm to help remove pedestrian/bicycle impacts, however pedestrians/bicycles passing in close proximity to the countSTICK can impact the collected data. If you expect a high volume of pedestrian or bicycle traffic directly in front of the countSTICK setup, a different location should be selected. Pedestrian and bicycle traffic on the far side of the roadway are less likely to impact the resulting counts.
- Install the countSTICK so the camera lens is three to six feet off the travelled roadway.
- When possible, install the countSTICK on a signpost or utility pole 25-feet or further from the centerline of the study corridor to maximize the accuracy of the speed information. This provides a longer capture period of the passing vehicles allowing for more data points to be collected for each vehicle.
- When installing the countSTICK loosely fasten the device to the mounting location with a zip tie or hose clamp at the desired height perpendicular to the roadway.
- If using a hose clamp, be sure not to overtighten, as this can crack the housing of the countSTICK. We recommend using large zip ties when possible to maximize setup/pickup efficiency.
- When collecting speed, measure the distance from the face of the countSTICK to the middle of the centerline of the road. It is best to complete these measurements before turning on the countSTICK to avoid any initialization issues or false positive noise in the study results.